The 18th Field Artillery Brigade History
The 18th Field Artillery Brigade was first constituted on 1 October 1943 in the Army of the United States as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, XVIII Corps Artillery and activated on 9 October 1943 at Camp Cooke, California. XVIII Corps Artillery participated in three campaigns during the Second World War: Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. After the end of the Second World War, the unit was inactivated on 15 October 1945 at Camp Cooke, California.
On 16 September 1978, Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, XVIII Airborne Corps Artillery was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 18th Field Artillery Brigade. The three battalions of the Brigade turned in their M114 Howitzers and received the M198 Howitzers. On 16 April 1984, B Battery (Target Acquisition), 26th Field Artillery Regiment joined the Brigade bringing with it the new AN/TPQ-37 Radar.
In March 1987, under the Army of Excellence initiative, Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, XVIII Airborne Corps Artillery was reconstituted and activated as a separate unit from 18th Field Artillery Brigade. Assigned to it was the 18th Field Artillery Brigade and the 1st Field Artillery Detachment (Target Acquisition).
In 1987, the 18th Field Artillery Brigade became an airborne general support field artillery brigade. In 16 January 1996 the Brigade was reorganized with 3rd Battalion, 27 Field Artillery Regiment; 1st Battalion, 321st Airborne Field Artillery Regiment; 3rd Battalion2, 321st Airborne Field Artillery Regiment; and 1st Battalion 377th Field Artillery Regiment.
The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 16 June 2007 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 18th Fires Brigade. Also in 2007, XVIII Corps Artillery was inactivated and the 18th Fires Brigade was reassigned directly to XVIII Corps. As part of the reorganization, the 1st Battalion, 377th Field Artillery was reassigned to the 17th Fires Brigade, I Corps, while the unit also activated the 188th Brigade Support Battalion and the 206th Signal Company. A brigade level target acquisition battery, D Battery, 26th Field Artillery, was also assigned. On 16 July 2008, the 18th Fires Brigade fell under 82nd Airborne Division for training and readiness, though it remained technically subordinate to XVIII Corps.
On 16 October 2014, the 18th Fires Brigade reorganized and redesignated back to the 18th Field Artillery Brigade, a XVIII Airborne Corps asset providing long range precision fires support to all divisions of the XVIII Airborne Corps.